In the Beginning

The Minor Prophets Listen to audio:  While their messages were generally shorter, the last 12 prophets of the Old Testament were anything but minor. Their prophecies spoke of the punishment due Israel and Judah because of their sins, idolatry and unfaithfulness to God. Their prophecies also pointed to God’s great love for Israel and her regathering and blessing under God’s New Covenant in fulfillment of God’s original promise to Abraham. They wrote of the sins and punishments due to Israel’s neighbors and []

The Prophet with an Unfaithful Wife

Hosea “Go, take to yourself a wife of harlotry, and have children of harlotry; for the land commits flagrant harlotry, forsaking the LORD” (Hosea 1:2). Erwin Kalinski Listen to audio:  John 3:16 illustrates God’s agape love toward mankind and Romans 5:6-8 shows that Jesus was willing to die for us as sinners in order to bring us back into harmony with God. Going back in time, God manifested His great love in the creation of spirit and earthly beings. In order for []

The Punishment and Saving of Israel

Joel “And the LORD shall roar from Zion, and utter his voice from Jerusalem; and the heavens and the earth shall shake, but the LORD will be a refuge unto his people, and a strong hold to the children of Israel” (Joel 3:16). (All scriptures are from the Revised Standard Version.) Jeff Earl Listen to audio:  Little is known about the background and family history of Joel other than he was the son of Pethuel (which means “A man of God” or “God []

I am a Herdsman

Amos “Hear ye this word which I take up against you, even a lamentation, O house of Israel” (Amos 5:1). Michael Costelli Listen to audio:  Amos was a prophet of God. He is usually termed a Minor Prophet, referring to the number of words penned and not the importance of his message. He was a contemporary of the prophets Hosea, Micah, Isaiah, and Jonah. He was active around 760- 755 BC during the reign of Jeroboam II.1 His death is listed as []

News and Views

Religious Listen to audio:  The Center for the Study of Global Christianity reports that of the Christians who lost their lives in 2016 because of their faith, 70 percent were in Africa. Most were killed in tribal fights. The remaining 30 percent lost their lives in terrorist activities in countries such as Syria and Iraq. Persecution of Christians is so high in Syria that in just five years of civil war, the total Christian population has fallen from 1.5 million to a []